Directors of Policy & Government Affairs
IFDA is seeking two Directors of Policy & Government Affairs who will represent the interests of the foodservice distribution industry before Congress and federal agencies. Each director will also be responsible for managing activities within the Government Affairs department, including staffing IFDA’s new “Fly-Out” program. We seek individuals who have strong relationships on Capitol Hill and a working knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes, who are energetic and self-starters, and who can manage multiple projects concurrently.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the VP of Government Affairs to implement advocacy strategies with Congress and federal agencies to advance legislative and regulatory policies that are favorable for the foodservice distribution industry
- Build and maintain contacts with key lawmakers, congressional and committee staff, federal agencies, and representatives of allied trade associations
- Monitor legislative and regulatory activity, and assist in policy development, in defined issue areas that may include labor, taxes, transportation, and food safety
- Work with the IFDA communications team to draft materials, including issue summaries, fact sheets, letters, and talking points in support of IFDA’s government affairs priorities
- Support IFDA-led coalition activities and represent IFDA at various coalition meetings, as necessary
- Assist in planning and executing IFDA’s Fly-Out program, including coordinating IFDA member facility tours with key lawmakers
- Assemble content for, and communicate with, IFDA member companies through the Daily Update, Federal Insight, and other association communications vehicles
- Assist in IFDAPAC fundraising efforts and attend fundraisers and other political events on behalf of the association
- Assist in planning and executing association committee meetings staffed by the Government Affairs department and attend meetings, as necessary
- Serve as a resource to IFDA members and staff, including responding to government affairs inquiries
No direct supervisory responsibility
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Working knowledge of, and experience with, the legislative and regulatory processes
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong project management skills, including attention to detail
- Sense of urgency and responsibility concerning projects and activities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage time and multitask effectively
Location and Travel:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 6 or more years of experience in government affairs and handling relevant issues
- Experience on Capitol Hill is preferred
Hybrid remote-office opportunity. IFDA will offer strategic flexibility recognizing much time is spent out of the office on Capitol Hill and downtown Washington. Out of town travel is up to 20%.
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
IFDA is the premier trade association for the $300+ billion foodservice distribution industry. IFDA contributes to the growth, development, and success of the foodservice distribution industry through our outstanding advocacy, events, research, and education.
IFDA offers a competitive salary reflective of positions in Washington, DC, commensurate with experience, as well as an excellent benefits package, including health, vision and dental coverage; life insurance; short term and long term disability insurance; a 401(k) retirement plan; a profit sharing plan; vacation, personal, and sick leave; and flexible office hours. Our office is located near Tysons Galleria in McLean, VA. Within walking distance to the Greensboro Metro Station. We have a dedicated staff of 18 working in a professional and pleasant work environment.