IFDA is hiring! We have exciting opportunities for you to use your exceptional experience and creativity. Are you looking for variety and the chance to use your skills? Would you love to work with a smart, collaborative, committed team?
IFDA is the premier trade association for the $300+ billion foodservice distribution industry. IFDA contributes to the growth, development, and success of the foodservice distribution industry through our outstanding advocacy, events, research, and education.
IFDA offers competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage, life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, profit sharing plan, vacation, personal and sick leave, and flexible office hours in a hybrid environment. Our office is located near Tysons Galleria in McLean, VA. We have a dedicated staff of 20 working in a professional and pleasant work environment.
Director, Business Development
The Director, Business Development manages association sales activities which cover allied and manufacturer partner membership categories, trade show exhibits, sponsorships and revenue partnerships across IFDA platforms. Under the direction of the Vice President, Industry Relations, this position will ensure IFDA’s organizational goals and strategic priorities are met.
Additional Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of manufacturer partners, and allied memberships segments. Manage program development to create valuable opportunities for all;
- Manage IFDA’s Distribution Solutions Conference Expo Floor;
- Responsible for leading, managing and execution of sponsorship programs for the SMart Conference, Partners Executive Forum, and work with sponsors on equipment procurement/coordination for IFDA’s Truck Driving Championship and generate additional revenue for association through digital sponsor opportunities.
- Help facilitate Industry Relations Committee/Council participation and management.
- Manage and track annual revenue and expense budget allocations for primary responsibilities ensuring revenue targets are met and fulfillment expenses are planned and managed.
Distribution Solutions Conference Expo/Sponsorships:
- Lead strategic development of event specific sponsorship opportunities, and sales for IFDA Partners Executive Forum, Distribution Solutions Conference, SMart Conference, Truck Driving Championship and other events/meetings as needed/required;
- Prospecting, pipeline management, sales calls/visits, and closing and account management/customer service.
- Manage IFDA Elite, Select and Event specific sponsor program sales, execution and communication;
- Develop, sell, manage and execute event specific à la carte sponsorship programs and digital revenue opportunities;
- Align business development opportunities with Association/Industry strategic priorities and collaborate with internal/external stakeholders to promote opportunities;
- Collaborate with Directors of Meetings, Education/Programming and VP of Industry Relations on future event site selection processes, sponsor recognition, fulfillment and related programs;
- Collaborate with association vendors on non-dues revenue generation, event sponsorship execution and expo execution; and,
- Design and oversee web site development/marketing/sales portion specific to all IFDA Event Sponsorships and Exhibits.
Industry Relations Committee:
- Develop and manage exhibit sales, booth selection and assignments, assist customers with booth relocations, floor plan changes and look for ways to enhance customers experiences;
- Develop exhibit floor plan layout to maximize sales/Expo experience;
- Manage the development of exhibit sales prospect list (in consultation with VP, Industry Relations), qualification, source tracking marketing efforts;
- Manage and oversee exhibit space allocation and selection process for exhibitions.
- Lead customer service experience for all supplier members;
- Manage on-site exhibit sales and exhibitor customer service;
- Create and distribute weekly sales reports;
- Oversee ancillary exhibitor services;
- Actively engage/participate in planning/supplier/exhibitor committees and task forces; and,
- Leverage member committee contacts for sponsor/exhibitor/allied member leads.
- Attend and prospect distributor and allied industry trade shows,
- Visit with prospective members, sponsors, and exhibitors,
- Actively monitor, research and stay abreast of innovative developments that could benefit the industry,
- Attend meeting and exhibition industry meetings and events; and,
- Other duties as assigned/needed.
No direct supervisory responsibility but works with administrative support staff and manage various vendors for the successful running of the Distribution Solutions Conference and overall sponsorship fulfillment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Ability to establish priorities, manage multiple projects, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills with aptitude in building relationships with professionals of all organizational levels.
Ability to work collaboratively with many different internal and external constituencies.
Proven ability to recognize industry change and deliver recommended strategies for new business opportunities.
Knowledge of association database programs and event management software.
Excellent negotiation skills, proven track record of successfully pitching for new business.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree is required and CEM, CAE and/or CMP certification is preferred.
8+ years in sales, marketing and operations, preferably the last 5 years in trade show and conference sales and operations, marketing and management; experience with a growing trade show.
Proven track record of increasing revenue through managing sales pipeline and lead generation.
Proven record of accomplishments in delivering quantifiable impact to the bottom line.
Demonstrated experience in identifying value creation opportunities and executing on a plan to ensure the value is capitalized on.
Some overnight travel (up to 50%) by land and/or air. Overnight travel for site visits, prospecting trips, events and conferences may last up to 8 consecutive nights.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
IFDA is hiring! Join a growing, collaborative government affairs team, where you can make a direct impact on a vital and dynamic $300+ billion industry that supplies food and related products to more than one million professional kitchens daily, including restaurants, colleges and universities, K-12 schools, U.S. military and government facilities, hospitals and care facilities, hotels and resorts, and other operations that make meals away from home possible. If you are a self-starter, who enjoys a challenge, operates strategically, can manage multiple projects concurrently, and seeks to elevate a crucial industry in the food supply chain at a critical time, we are interested in talking with you.
Director, Policy & Government Affairs
The International Foodservice Distributors Association is seeking a Director of Policy & Government Affairs to represent the priorities of the foodservice distribution industry before Congress and federal agencies. The director will also be responsible for managing activities within the Government Affairs department that include staffing IFDA’s “Fly-Out” facility tours and IFDA member fly-ins in alternating years. The ideal candidate will have strong relationships on Capitol Hill and a working knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes.
- Work with the VP of Government Affairs to implement advocacy strategies with Congress and federal agencies to advance legislative and regulatory policies that are favorable for the foodservice distribution industry
- Build and maintain contacts with key lawmakers, congressional and committee staff, federal agencies, and representatives of allied trade associations
- Monitor legislative and regulatory activity, and assist in policy development, in defined issue areas that may include labor, taxes, transportation, and food safety
- Work with the IFDA communications team to draft materials, including issue summaries, fact sheets, letters, and talking points in support of IFDA’s government affairs priorities
- Assist in IFDAPAC fundraising efforts and attend fundraisers and other political events on behalf of the association
- Support IFDA-led coalition activities and represent IFDA at various coalition meetings, as necessary
- Assist in planning and executing IFDA’s Fly-Out program, including coordinating IFDA member facility tours with key lawmakers
- Assemble content for, and communicate with, IFDA member companies through association communications vehicles
- Assist in planning and executing association committee meetings staffed by the Government Affairs department and attend meetings, as necessary
- Serve as a resource to IFDA members and staff, including responding to government affairs inquiries
No direct supervisory responsibility
Required Education and Experience:
- Established network of Capitol Hill contacts and ability to build professional relationships
- Proven record of developing and implementing effective legislative and regulatory strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including ability to distill complex issues into salient points
- Strong project management skills, including attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Location and Travel:
Hybrid remote-office opportunity.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 6 or more years of experience in government affairs and handling relevant issues
- Experience on Capitol Hill is preferred
IFDA offers a flexible work schedule – 3 days of remote work – to facilitate engagement on Capitol Hill and coalition activities. Out of town travel is up to 20%.
IFDA offers a competitive salary reflective of positions in Washington, DC, commensurate with experience, as well as an excellent benefits package, including health and dental coverage; life insurance; short term and long term disability insurance; a 401(k) retirement plan; a profit sharing plan; vacation, personal, and sick leave; and flexible office hours.
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.