August 14, 2018
In 2018, IFDA conducted the industry's first comprehensive, publicly available economic impact study of the foodservice distribution industry in the United States. Measuring the physical and economic footprint of foodservice distributors nationwide, the study quantifies the full impact the industry has on the national and state economies.
The foodservice distribution industry has a significant impact on communities across America. We ensure that restaurants and foodservice outlets have the ingredients and supplies they need to serve millions of meals every day. From foodservice at schools, healthcare facilities and military bases, to coffee shops, national chain restaurants and mom-and-pop eateries, we make dining out possible.
- Foodservice distributors engage a workforce of 350,000. The industry also supports 700,000 ancillary jobs throughout the economy through employee spending and supply chain impact, making the total employment impact 1+ million.
- The industry generates direct sales of $280 billion per year, and supports an additional $51 billion in output across the broader economy, bringing the total economic impact of foodservice distributors to $331+ billion.
- Foodservice distributors donate 2.9 million cases of food and beverage products and volunteer 368,000 hours to charity annually. The total value of charitable contributions is estimated to $550+ million.
- IFDA estimates there are 15,000 foodservice distribution center locations in the U.S., which deliver 8.7 billion cases of product to restaurants and foodservice outlets annually, which equals an average of 24 million cases per day.
- Foodservice distributors operate a vehicular fleet of 153,000 power units, trailers and trucks, which are driven 3.2 billion miles per year by 131,000 drivers.
Download the full report
November 7, 2018
This quarterly report by IFDA and ITR Economics provides macro-economic trends, detailed information on leading economic and industry indicators, and projections that assist foodservice distributors with strategic business planning. Each report includes exclusive analysis of what the current situation and predictions mean to distributors. Read more
November 1, 2018
This report features original research and commentary about the independent restaurant market. Read more
October 11, 2017
The independent restaurant market is doing well, but there are significant challenges on the horizon. Do you know how to help independent operators position themselves – and yourself – for future growth? Read more