August 14, 2018
In 2018, IFDA conducted the industry's first comprehensive, publicly available economic impact study of the foodservice distribution industry in the United States. Measuring the physical and economic footprint of foodservice distributors nationwide, the study quantifies the full impact the industry has on the national and state economies.
The foodservice distribution industry has a significant impact on communities across America. We ensure that restaurants and foodservice outlets have the ingredients and supplies they need to serve millions of meals every day. From foodservice at schools, healthcare facilities and military bases, to coffee shops, national chain restaurants and mom-and-pop eateries, we make dining out possible.
- Foodservice distributors engage a workforce of 350,000. The industry also supports 700,000 ancillary jobs throughout the economy through employee spending and supply chain impact, making the total employment impact 1+ million.
- The industry generates direct sales of $280 billion per year, and supports an additional $51 billion in output across the broader economy, bringing the total economic impact of foodservice distributors to $331+ billion.
- Foodservice distributors donate 2.9 million cases of food and beverage products and volunteer 368,000 hours to charity annually. The total value of charitable contributions is estimated to $550+ million.
- IFDA estimates there are 15,000 foodservice distribution center locations in the U.S., which deliver 8.7 billion cases of product to restaurants and foodservice outlets annually, which equals an average of 24 million cases per day.
- Foodservice distributors operate a vehicular fleet of 153,000 power units, trailers and trucks, which are driven 3.2 billion miles per year by 131,000 drivers.
Download the full report
May 31, 2023
This white paper covers ecommerce options for foodservice distributors, and includes overviews of each type of platform option and things to consider when choosing the right one for your company. Read more
April 27, 2023
Prepared for IFDA by Technomic, this brief provides insight into what distributors can do to help their operator customers navigate back-of-the-house technology. Read more
December 15, 2022
Prepared for IFDA by Technomic, this brief provides insight into the state of the foodservice distribution industry in 2023 and outlook going into 2023. Read more