2020 Cross-Industry Compensation and Benefits Survey
Understanding the labor market in foodservice distribution and other distribution/wholesale industry verticals is key to successful recruitment and retention. Last conducted in 2018, we are repeating this survey to get up-to-date information on 35+ salaried positions (executive, management and sales) to help you stay competitive. Results will provide a better understanding of how your company's compensation levels and benefits practices compare with 1,000+ companies from 20+ distribution/wholesale industry verticals.
The survey takes 30-45 minutes to complete and is now open to all foodservice distributors. Detailed instructions are listed below. All participating companies receive free results and access to exclusive reporting tools that won't be available to non-participants.
Complete the survey now
IFDA engaged Industry Insights, an independent research company, to collect and compile the results of the study. Industry Insights has more than 40 years of experience in conducting confidential, compensation benchmarking studies of this nature. The survey is hosted and maintained on a secure server outside of IFDA's website to keep your data safe and confidential.
Accessing the online platform
Survey data submission options
- Go to https://compensationbenchmarking.com/IFDA
- Enter your email and click on the “Continue” button.
- If you do not have an account from participating in previous IFDA compensation surveys, you will be directed to a registration page to create an account.
- If you have an account, it will request that you enter your password. Please note that this is the password you’ve previously used for surveys in this platform; it is not linked to your regular IFDA website member login.
- If you don’t remember your password, click the link “Forgot Password?”
- Make sure “International Foodservice Distributors Association” is selected in the list of participating trade associations and click “Continue.”
- Complete the survey online using the section headers on the menu on the right side of the screen. Click the “Save” button on the bottom regularly, and if you wish to return to enter additional data at a later time. When you’re done with a section, check the box on the bottom to indicate that section is completed. When all sections are completed, return to the survey home page and click “Submit Survey” to indicate that you’re finished.
- If you participated in this survey in 2018, you may transfer that data to the 2020 survey and update as necessary rather than re-typing data (for example, company profile information and healthcare benefits) by choosing the “Transfer Data” option on the left menu.
- You may download the survey questionnaire to complete offline by choosing “Excel Survey” on the left menu. Please note the survey sections appear as tabs on the bottom when you open the file. When completed, upload your file by choosing the “File Upload” option on the left menu in the survey platform.
- Choosing the “PDF Survey” option on the left lets you download the questionnaire for review. Please note that data can’t be typed into the PDF, so you’ll need to use the online or Excel version to submit data.
Adding users to your company’s account
- After logging in to the online platform, select “Add User” from the menu on the right titled “Other Options.”
- Enter the email address and name of your colleague, then select the level of access you’d like to assign to the new user:
- Admin — gives the user access to the survey form, the reports, AND allows them to add/remove users.
- Survey — gives the user survey access. This option is only relevant if a survey is active.
- Report — gives the user access to the static reports and reporting tools once results are available.
- Click the "Add User" button.
- After a user is added to your company, the system will send an email to that person containing their auto-generated login credentials.
For questions regarding login, adding users and technical issues, contact Industry Insights’ Jenny Tweed at (614) 389-2100 ext. 112, or email@example.com. For questions about IFDA research, contact Annika Stensson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foodservice distributors that participate in the survey will receive free access to the following once results are available in spring 2020:
- PDF Industry Report: aggregate results for foodservice distribution, as well as the wider distribution/wholesaler industry.
- PDF Company-Specific Compensation Report (CCR): confidential, individualized reports that presents a participant’s own information alongside industry comparatives.
- Excel Data Tables: full data aggregates compiled in the survey.
- Interactive Online Reporting Tools: the online survey portal allows participants to create customized reports, filtering the results by their own selected criteria.
2019 Compensation Survey: Driver and Warehouse Edition
Recruiting qualified drivers and warehouse personnel is becoming increasingly challenging and the labor pool will remain shallow for the foreseeable future. Offering competitive compensation and benefits to hourly employees is a good tool to ease that challenge. But what offerings are competitive?
Participating companies can access full results for free, including customized report and build-your-own reporting tools online, by logging into our online platform. Non-participating companies may buy an aggregate report.
This cross-industry survey contains confidential information from 93 distribution companies, including 60 foodservice distributors, providing wage data for 699 U.S. locations. The data provides a better understanding of how your company's compensation levels and benefits practices compare in the labor market.
- 5 driver positions and 19 warehouse positions.
- Details on base wage, type of incentive/component pay, benefits used to recruit/retain workers, annual pay adjustments, turnover, and more.
- 3 data breakdown categories: all firms and foodservice distributors (IFDA firms), sales/shipment volume (Under $50M, $50M-$200M, over $200M), and U.S. region.
- 7 data points for each position: average weekly hours, median and average base hourly wage, median and average annual gross pay, and median and average effective gross rate.
- An online portal will hold the full results for participating companies once available.
- Non-participating companies may purchase an aggregate PDF report, once available.
Foodservice distributors that participated in the survey receive free access
to the following:
- PDF Industry Report: provides aggregate results.
- PDF Company Report: confidential, individualized reports that presents a participant’s own compensation and benefit information alongside the appropriate comparatives.
- Excel Data Tables: full data aggregates compiled in the survey.
- Searchable Results: an online tool that allows participants to examine the data in ways not possible through the PDF reports or Excel Data Tables; participants can create their own data cuts and build their own reports.
IFDA engaged Industry Insights
, an independent research company, to collect and compile the results of the study. Industry Insights has more than 40 years of experience in conducting confidential, compensation benchmarking studies of this nature. The survey is hosted and maintained on a secure server to keep your data safe and confidential.
For questions about IFDA’s compensation survey and other research, contact Annika Stensson at email@example.com.
Operations & Financial Benchmarking Data Available
Update: This survey is scheduled to be fielded again in April 2020. Stay tuned for details.
The new IFDA benchmarking survey results are now available to participating companies. A PDF report with aggregate industry numbers
broken down by general business profile categories (i.e. no company specific data) is available for purchase to non-participating companies.
The 60 participating foodservice distribution companies receive free, exclusive access to full results presented in several different formats via an online portal at www.IFDABenchmarking.com
- The 2019 IFDA Operations & Financial Performance Report — a downloadable PDF with aggregate industry numbers.
- An individual Company Performance Report — a downloadable PDF available only to you that compares your data to the industry aggregates.
- Detailed Data Tables — a downloadable Excel spreadsheet of the full results.
- Interactive Infographic – a graphic that presents key industry metrics you can populate with your own data for a visual comparison.
- Scenario Generator — an interactive online tool that allows users to see the potential impact that changes in their business could have.
- A searchable results module where participants can build their own reports and download charts and graphs will be added soon.
IFDA launched its new consolidated benchmarking survey in December 2018. This new, refreshed program was designed with busy schedules in mind to require less time and deliver ready-to-use, customizable results. The survey focused on the key operations and financial metrics, including sales growth, private-label product sales, inventory levels, technology implementation, inbound and outbound totals, error rates, on-time delivery rates, employee turnover, as well as standard balance sheet and income statement data.
IFDA engaged Industry Insights to execute the program to keep data confidential and secure - participant information will not be seen by IFDA. For technical and online portal questions, contact Industry Insights’ Scott Hackworth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about IFDA’s benchmarking program, email Annika Stensson at email@example.com.