August 14, 2018
The foodservice distribution industry’s vast economic footprint contributes significantly to local, state and federal economies and delivers the goods to sustain America’s appetite for dining out, according to a report by IFDA. With annual foodservice distribution industry sales at $280 billion in 2017—about the size of Louisiana’s total state GDP—the foodservice distribution industry operates 153,000 total vehicles and employs 131,000 drivers. In fact, the industry’s total employment impact is more than 1 million jobs nationwide, more than the number of people who live in the state of Delaware.
“Americans love to dine out, and the foodservice distribution industry makes trips to our favorite restaurants possible, while also contributing to local and state economies and providing high-quality jobs,” said Mark S. Allen, President and CEO of the International Foodservice Distributors Association.
Key study findings show that annually, U.S. foodservice distributors:
- Employ a workforce of 350,000 people and support an additional 700,000 jobs in the nation’s economy, for a total employment impact of more than 1 million jobs.
- Generate industry sales of $280 billion and supports an additional $51 billion in economic output throughout the economy, for a total economic impact of more than $331 billion.
- Donate 2.9 million cases of food and beverage products to charity and volunteer 368,000 hours, adding up to an estimated value of charitable contributions at more than $550 million.
- Operate 15,000 distribution center locations and deliver 8.7 billion cases annually – nearly 24 million cases per day.
- Operate a vehicular fleet of 153,000 power units, trailers and trucks that are driven 3.2 billion miles by 131,000 drivers.
IFDA engaged FTI Consulting to produce the study by conducting primary research, include multiple public sources, and apply industry-leading economic modeling. To view the full report click here.
October 30, 2018
Conference features latest trends,
developments and innovations in foodservice distribution Read more
October 29, 2018
Sold-Out Expo Draws Record Crowds Read more
October 4, 2018
Program casts a spotlight on industry’s top drivers for their outstanding records of service and safety. Read more